It’s Memorial Day Weekend here in the USA and my buddy SammyP is back again!
My friend and Assistant Chef is back with another fab recipe sent in by his Mom, Miss Ellen of the blog 15andmeowing! Sammy thought it might be good for him to come and make sure I make this yummy TREAT so that it tastes JUST RIGHT. Anything involving bacon – well – you can’t help but have it be just right. This is a recipe I’ve thought about searching out but just hadn’t ever done it so here we go:
Sweet and Spicy Maple Candied Bacon
YEP and not just ANY OLD BACON!!!!
1 lb. thick sliced bacon (although you can use regular sliced if you wish)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil topped with a sheet of parchment paper.
- To make the maple and brown sugar glaze, combine the maple syrup and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture just starts to bubble. Remove from heat and reserve.
- Arrange the bacon strips on the prepared baking sheet, overlapping slightly if needed.
- Bake until the bacon slices start to brown, about 15 minutes. Blot the excess grease with paper towels.
- Brush generously with the glaze and sprinkle generously with the black pepper. Continue baking for 5 minutes.
- Turn the bacon strips, blot extra grease, and brush generously with the glaze. Sprinkle all over with freshly ground black pepper.
- Continue baking until bacon strips are crispy and browned, about 10 more minutes. Your exact cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of your bacon. Watch carefully towards the end of cooking time so bacon doesn’t overcook.
- Remove from the oven and cool. Blot any excess grease. Arrange on a platter and serve. Makes 12 pieces.
Now this is the way to celebrate Memorial Day weekend…………with a big old batch of the most delicious bacon in the universe. Right Sammy? Right! Let’s dig in and everyone – hope your weekend is as delicious as ours will be.
Your King AND His Pawsome Assistant SammyP