GREETINGS from the kitchen of Castle Baconia……I am your King but today I’m your CHEF!!!
Once a week I toss the royal chef out of the kitchen here in the castle and take over – he gets a day off and I get to share some bacon recipes with you. Not a bad deal right? Today’s recipe is – well – DIFFERENT. You might see the ingredients and think “HUH?” – has the King lost his marbles? The answer is no. It’s a salad with some unusual ingredients in it but what you get is something out of this world. Sweet strawberries, salty bacon, tangy vinaigrette, cheese, crunchy nuts – WHAT’S NOT TO LIKE???????????????????
I will admit that this salad is particularly yummy in the summer but you can make it any time of the year – even if fresh strawberries aren’t available, frozen ones that have been thawed will work – they aren’t QUITE as tasty as fresh but they work.
So, are you ready? Here goes!!!
Strawberry Bacon Salad
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce (spinach is delicious too!)
- 1 pound strawberries, sliced
- 5-6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2/3 cup crumbled bleu cheese, or gorgonzola, or feta (I know lots of you don’t care for bleu cheese BUT the alternatives – especially feta – work great!!)
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette (by the way, store bought honey balsamic vinaigrette is delicious so you don’t HAVE to make your own)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (I use extra virgin)
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- I make the vinaigrette first and like to keep in in the refrigerator until ready to use. It’s great for up to 2 weeks stored in the refrigerator. All you do is whisk all the vinaigrette ingredients together. Taste, then add salt and pepper as needed.
- In a large bowl, toss all of the salad ingredients together, then mix in the vinaigrette. You may not need all the vinaigrette– use as much or little as you prefer.
- Plate and serve.
See? I told you that you might think this just doesn’t sound right but put these ingredients together in a bowl and – well – the flavor just explodes.
Yeah I feel like that too…………..!!!