Welcome to the kitchen of Castle Baconia – I am your King but on Saturday I’m also your chef!
That’s right – I have taken on the responsibility of loading you all up with recipes that involve BACON and today is no exception…….this one is a MAJOR winner at our house. Mom likes to have uses for her leftover smashed (oops I mean mashed) potatoes so you CAN use those but you can also just join up a fresh batch. My parents here in the castle are BIG on bleu cheese and some people aren’t so you can substitute if you want. But trust me – this is another GOOD TASTING SIDE DISH!!
Bacon and Blue Cheese Potato Pancakes
- 2 pounds potatoes, cubed
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Add all ingredients to list
- 4 slices of bacon – crumbled
- Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels; chop into smaller pieces.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and return to the pot; mash slightly.
- Stir bacon, blue cheese, milk, egg, green onions, salt, and pepper into the pot; mash mixture with a potato masher to desired consistency. Cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Pour bread crumbs into a shallow bowl. Shape the potato mixture into twelve 1/2-inch thick cakes; dredge in bread crumbs.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 potato cakes; cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining potato cakes. Cover and keep warm.
This HAS to be good!!!!!!!
You know most recipes are truly just GUIDES – people who cook adjust/substitute as they want to so of course that applies to any and all of the recipes I give to you. That goes for bacon too – turkey bacon can be substituted!
But the fact of the matter is BACON does make everything better!!!!
Now are you going to add these items to your grocery list? I bet you do………………would I steer you wrong? No I would NOT. I am your King and you can trust me…………make sure and tune in next Saturday for another GEM from the Castle Baconia kitchens………..
Time for my ROYAL nap…………….YOUR KING
Happy 28th Anniversary to my Mom and Pop