Greetings Bacon Lovers! I’ve got another TREAT for you today!
I know Thanksgiving is coming very soon and while this isn’t something you would have for your WHOLE meal, it’s still something that would make a very tasty appetizer for holiday time – whether Thanksgiving or Christmas. Just a snack – or maybe even something to put on a brunch buffet if you have company! It sure is good – The ROYAL Mom and Dad can testify to that.
Shrimp-Pineapple-Bacon Party Pizza
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained and juice reserved
- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, apple- or maple-smoked is best
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce (optional – in fact I didn’t use it but it’s in the recipe and if I’d had it I would have used it – hoisin is delicious)
- 1 carton (8 ounces) spreadable chive and onion cream cheese (it was in the cheese department in all four of our grocery stores so pretty “common” to find!)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, unfold pastry sheet; cut in half. Roll each half into a 10×6-in. rectangle. Place on a baking sheet. Fold under 1/4-in. of edges to form a rim. Prick center of pastry with a fork. Repeat with remaining pastry sheet. Bake until crust is golden, about 12 minutes. While pastry is baking, marinate shrimp in juice from pineapple tidbits.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until crisp, about 12 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Reserve 1-1/2 tablespoons drippings.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of drippings in skillet over medium-high heat; cook pepper until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from skillet. Drain shrimp; add to skillet with remaining bacon drippings. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until shrimp turn pink, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in hoisin sauce.
- Spread cream cheese over puff pastries. Scatter shrimp evenly over cream cheese. Sprinkle bacon and green pepper over shrimp. Using paper towels, squeeze pineapple tidbits dry; scatter over pizza. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until crust is browned and cheese has melted, about 10 minutes. Let stand briefly before cutting each pastry into 6 rectangles. If desired, top with addition Parmesan cheese.
KITCHEN SPY GUY: “If I’m real quiet, perhaps The King of Bacon won’t notice me hiding in the back of the kitchen watching him make this – sure sounds delish and I want to make it myself!!!!!!”
Oh little kitty – don’t eat that leaf – I’ve got something way better with shrimpies and bacon in it!
Give this one a whirl everyone – it’s really delicious. Would I kid you? Nope!