‘Tis I – your King – with something yummy to try!
Ah ha! I have a super duper treat for you today. It’s a tart (which is a favorite form of FOOD in my house) but it features bacon and chicken and oh boy is it delish. It would make a delicious appetizer or if you’re my parents (haha) a delicious DINNER. Has lots of great ingredients including another favorite of my Mom and Dad – jalapeno pepper jelly. Just a quickie note about that jelly – Mom and Dad enjoy jalapeno or any hot pepper jelly with a smear of cream cheese on a cracker as much as they like this tart!
Delicious Chicken Bacon Tart
- 1/4 pound bacon strips, cut into thirds
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 package (9 ounces) ready-to-serve roasted chicken breast strips
- 1/4 cup jalapeno pepper jelly
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon. Saute onions and apples in drippings until tender. Stir in the chicken, jelly, thyme and salt.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry. Roll into a 10-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. parchment-lined baking sheet. Prick with a fork.
- Spread chicken mixture over pastry to within 1 in. of edges. Sprinkle with cheese and pepper. Press edges with a fork, forming a decorative border.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with bacon; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Sprinkle with parsley.
My Mom is a huge fan of puff pastry. Fortunately it’s available in our grocery store from Pepperidge Farm – they have a package of puff pastry sheets so the work is done. You can also find it sometimes in the frozen food section. Puff pastry is so tasty and delicious – Mom often makes fresh fruit tarts in the summer with strawberries and other berries and uses vanilla pudding as the “bottom layer” on top of the pastry before adding the fruit.
So – this chicken bacon tart is worth a whirl. Honest!
Garfield likes it !!