Top-O-the-Mornin’ To Ye!
Yes I know St. Pat’s isn’t until next week but this is the PRE-SAINT-PAT’s post today. Maybe it’s just an excuse to wear my scarf and hat??? A note about the recipe today – we didn’t use traditional Irish bacon – which is thick and like having a pork chop – we used regular bacon. Why? Because we ALWAYS ALWAYS have bacon on hand and none of our groceries have Irish bacon. Trust me though – this recipe is not just EASY it’s delicious.
Fried Irish Cabbage With Bacon (not traditional Irish bacon though!)
1 – package bacon (12 oz.)
1/4 cup bacon drippings
1 small head of cabbage, cored and finely chopped
ground black pepper to taste
Cook bacon in deep skillet over medium heat until crisp – remove bacon from skillet and drain on a paper towel. Reserve 1/4 cup of bacon drippings in the skillet
Cook and stir cabbage in hot bacon drippings over medium heat until cabbage wilts (5-7 minutes)
Crumble bacon over cabbage – stir and simmer until bacon is warmed (2-3 minutes). Season with black pepper.
Uhoh….that just HAS to be bad luck!
Enjoy this yummy side dish with your St. Patrick’s Dinner – I’m sure you’ll have better luck than the leprechaun had.
May the luck o’ the Irish be with ye!
Alright Loyal Bacon Subjects! Who’s UP for a recipe??
OK – this one takes a little work when it comes to prep with all the ingredients but MAKING it – actually putting it together – really is not a big deal. My Mom loves cabbage but making cabbage rolls is more of a chore than layering – leave it to her to take the easy way but know what? It IS easy that way so here’s the EASY recipe for CABBAGE ROLL CASSEROLE!
Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (or more if you like!!!!!)
- 1 medium head cabbage (2 pounds), shredded
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in 1 can tomato sauce and next 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in rice and bacon; remove from heat.
- Layer a third of the cabbage in a greased 13×9-in. baking dish. Top with half the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining cabbage. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with coarsely ground pepper.
THIS MAKES GREAT – and I mean GREAT LEFTOVERS!!
Yep – YUMMY IN THE TUMMY!
Happy Saturday Bacon Lovers and other Lovers…………………..(tee hee)
Try It – The King So Decrees!!