Another Saturday in the kitchen here at the castle – I’ve told the regular chef here to take the morning off while I destroy his kitchen and make a big mess.
I’ve got another easy recipe for you today………….I love “EASY” don’t you??
May I present what to me ought to probably be called “easy pizza” but instead it’s called Bacon and Tomato Squares………..I’ll let YOU decide what YOU want to call it – I know the one thing that is true no matter what you decide to name this dish is that it’s DELICIOUS and super easy and makes a great snack, appetizer OR dinner!
Bacon and Tomato Squares
- 6 slices bacon (ok – frankly you can use as much bacon as you want – six is good but seven is better…..know what I mean???)
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4 roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and chopped (romas are good but cherry tomatoes are also good!)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 refrigerated pizza crust dough
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Place bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Crumble bacon into a medium-size mixing bowl. Mix in bell pepper, tomatoes, and basil. In a separate small bowl, combine mayonnaise and garlic.
- Roll pizza crust into a 12×15 inch rectangular baking sheet. Spread the mayonnaise mixture evenly over the crust. Sprinkle the bacon mixture over the mayonnaise, and top the entire pizza with cheese.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until the top is bubbly and the crust is golden brown. Cool and cut the into 24 squares.
I’d say the 24 square size is probably good “appetizer” size…………cut in larger squares if you’re going to just eat this like a slice of pizza. It truly IS pizza when you think about it though – same ingredients and a pizza crust. Why it’s called “Bacon and Tomato Squares” is anyone’s guess!
BRING IT ON – WE WILL EAT BACONIZED PIZZA STUFF ANY TIME!!!!!
See? Excitement. Trust me – you want to make this super easy pizza ASAP. Then you’ll wish you’d made TWO. HAHAHA