This series of posts called “SPARKS” was started by Annie McGuffy of McGuffy’s Reader but ended when her blog was hacked some time ago. It was meant to be a way to start out each with with a meaningful thought – something that spoke to us and hopefully everyone who read it. Sometimes we need a little “spark” in our lives and these posts were meant to at least be a PART of that effort. Those of us who enjoyed sharing a SPARK have continued doing so on Mondays – and we hope one day soon Annie will be back blogging with us again.
So this is the last SPARK before Christmas. Well of course I had to find something about Christmas and just when I was about to give up – I found this………………….so without a lot of fanfare or explanation (because it doesn’t really need it!) I give you my SPARK to you from me with appreciation for being a blog friend. May your holidays be merry and bright.
Time to show ourselves off a bit! Actually this week being the last Selfie before Christmas I’m going to post my Selfie photo from LAST Christmas. It has one of my favorite toys in it – a big BACON toy with a Santa hat on it that rustles when I squeeze it – I really loved it last year and carried it all over the house with me for weeks after the holiday. Funny how sometimes just one thing is all of a sudden THE BEST THING. I have presents in my stocking hanging from the mantel and a few under the tree this year and I can’t WAIT to open them on Christmas morning!
If you’d like to join in the Selfie Blog Hop – just click the badge above and go to The Cat On My Head and link up with us.
I imagine next Sunday everyone will be showing photos of themselves with their favorite toys Santa brought them. I’ll probably do the same.
Since I’m the King of Bacon I guess you know why I loved this toy so much when I got it last year!!!
And I did a puzzle from this photo last year – here it is:
Click here for the Christmas puzzle!
Merry Christmas from me and Angel Sammy too!! Love, Teddy
Welcome To My Holiday Kitchen!
Oh yes………..holidays just automatically mean GOOD COOKIN’ don’t they. People share recipes – ideas for snacks – if it was a normal year people would be preparing ideas to feed groups of friends and family. Instead we are keeping things small this year. Just to stay on the safe side. Even here at the Castle, we are having no big “do” – just a nice Christmas dinner for the holiday. Oh – and some other little goodies along the way.
That’s what today is all about………..an idea to put in your “idea box” for thinking about when it comes to feeding YOURSELVES during the holiday. We are fans of scalloped potatoes here – Mom loves them and so does Dad but the same old/same old recipe loses its’ charm after a while. This really jazzes things up signicantly and will be one of the side dishes Mom makes to have with the ROYAL HAM CHRISTMAS DINNER this year. Check it out – you probably won’t be able to resist trying it – if not for Christmas – maybe New Year’s Eve?????
Granny’s Apple Scalloped Potatoes
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet onion
- 4 medium red potatoes, thinly sliced (about 1 pound)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (I used dry)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional (yes it’s green and holiday-ish but I didn’t have any so left this out!)
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine apple slices, sugar and lemon juice; toss to coat. Set aside. In an 8- or 9-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Alternately arrange potato and apple slices in a single layer in same skillet. Combine 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, cream, thyme, salt and pepper; pour over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 50 minutes. Top with bacon and remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned, 5-10 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Oh boy – not only is this going to be super extra tasty but it’s also beautiful just to look at! All those potatoes and apples arranged slice by slice……YUMMMMM.
Now – time to say to all of you how much I’ve enjoyed being your Chef in the Castle – having taken over from Angel Sammy who used to run this kitchen as King of Bacon before me. So much fun and so many delicious recipes! We hope the new year will be just as much fun – no reason to think it won’t be – and we hope you continue to enjoy picking up a tip or two for some new dish to try. EATING IS FUN.
Maybe leave him a small dish of scalloped apples and potatoes instead of cookies this year??? They have bacon on top you know!
Love and Holiday Hugs, Teddy
Oh boy………..time to do one of my favorite Hops – the one where we get to learn stuff about our friends by filling in the blanks in sentences. Our co-hosts, Four-Legged-Furballs and 15andMeowing each provide us with two sentences and places for us to fill in the blanks. It’s fun – it’s easy – and it’s every week! You can click the badge above and look for the spot to LINK with us if you like!
Here are this week’s four sentences complete with “holes” for filling…………..I decided to let my Mom fill in ALL the blanks today – “Hey Mom – consider it a Christmas present!” (tee hee)……Mom’s words are in GREEN.
1. My favorite kind of homemade cookie is chocolate chip (since I was a little girl!).
2. I’m a big fan of having a stocking hung on the mantel containing lots of little fun gifts to open!!!.
3. I look most forward to giving gifts during the holiday season.
4. This year having to social distance is my least favorite thing about the holiday season. (I will miss seeing friends and having fun together – I just look forward to NEXT year’s holiday season!!)
Hey Mom. You did a good job. For the record, you make really tasty chocolate chip cookies – not that I have ever had any because chocolate is a BIG NO NO but they smell wonderful so I’m SURE they taste wonderful. Besides, Dad practically inhales them so I assume they are super yummy. I know you and Dad will miss seeing your friends this year but it’s the SAFE thing to do!!
Next week’s Friendly Fill-Ins day is CHRISTMAS DAY………..the only filling in we will be doing is “filling in our tummies with good food!!” – right Mom?