Step right up and grab a seat in the kitchen! I have another bacon recipe to share!
I couldn’t resist giving you this recipe – you may even have made it before – it’s been around for years. It’s even entirely possible I’ve given this one to you before BUT it’s too good NOT to repeat if I did! It’s really delicious and as always remember you can make substitutions or leave something out because recipes are GUIDELINES. Also I’ll tell you it’s OK to cheat and buy already baked cornbread (our grocery has it – I suppose some don’t) but the packaged cornbread mixes are really delicious.
Cheddar Corn Pudding With Bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 2 cups crushed cornbread stuffing
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and red pepper; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 6-8 minutes. Remove from skillet; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cream, baking soda, hot pepper sauce and salt. Stir in corn, stuffing, bacon, 1 cup cheese and onion mixture. Transfer to skillet.Bake, uncovered, 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake until puffed and golden brown, 5-10 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
My Mom says her Mom used to make corn pudding on a RARE occasion but never added cheddar and never added bacon…………seems like those two things are TOTALLY NECESSARY to me! LOL Give this one a try. Sure is good. Mom made pork chops the night she made this for the “side”……………She says it was “MMMMMMMMMGOOD” !
Even Garfield got excited about this one!