It’s Me – your King – and I have Guest Chef Raz back with me this week!
His Mom sent a fabulous recipe to us along with Raz to help in the kitchen and make sure we do a good job telling you about this delish treat. Raz’s Mom finds some mighty good recipes that include our favorite item – BACON. This one – well – all I can say is:
What is it? Well, it’s something you can make on your BBQ Grill OR in your oven so its got lots of possibilities but the end result is the same. Here it is:
BACON BBQ PIE
You can use a cast-iron skillet and cook on the grill or you can use a skillet or baking pan and cook it in the oven.
Here’s what you’ll need: (use a cast iron skillet)
- 19 slices of bacon
- 1 lb ground meat
- 2 tbsp BBQ seasoning
- 1 fresh jalapeño
- ½ onion
- 1 green pepper
- 6 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 3 oz fried onions
Here’s how to put it together:
- Get the fire going on the grill and preheat to 350°F.
- Line the pan with the bacon slices. Make sure the iron skillet is small enough that bacon can reach from the center of the pan and still hang off the sides of it.
- Add ground beef to pan and press down to flatten it. Make sure there are no gaps. Sprinkle the bbq seasoning on the ground beef.
- Get your jalapeño, onion, and green paper and slice them into rings. Add the green peppers, then the onions, and then the jalapeño.
- Add grated cheddar on top, covering the entire pan with the cheese.
- Fold the bacon slices over the cheese. If the bacon isn’t long enough to cover the top of the meat, add more bacon slices on top.
- Pour the barbecue sauce on top and spread it all over the bacon.
- Place the skillet on top of your grill, cover, and cook for 45 minutes.
- When it’s cooked through, garnish with fried onions before serving (optional).
If you want to make this in your oven………….do EVERYTHING as above except of course cook it on the grill – you put the whole thing in the oven at 350° and cook for one hour – check it to see if it’s done – if not cook a bit longer. But we have to say the VERY BEST way is to use an iron skillet and do it on the grill !!!
Well need we say more than this recipe is definitely “POOH BEAR APPROVED” !!!! Raz, your Mom gets an A+ for finding some of the most creative, interesting, and YUMMY bacon recipes EVER and sharing them with us here at Castle Baconia. You’ve been a super big help in the kitchen too – you’re welcome back any time!
Hugs, Your King AND his Guest Chef, Raz