Is it “That Time” Again? Bacon Day? Yep – step right up!
Greetings Bacon Fans……today is the day I reveal yet another of the million ways to enjoy bacon in a recipe. Something temptingly tasty and in the case of MOST of my recipes, EASY. This one is interesting – has ham AND bacon in it. It’s actually a breakfast treat but seems to me this is good ANY time of the day!
Ham Steaks With Gruyere, Bacon and Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 fully cooked boneless ham steak (about 1 pound), cut into 4 pieces
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and shallot; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from pan; keep warm. Wipe skillet clean.
- In same skillet, cook ham over medium heat 3 minutes. Turn; sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Cook, covered, 2-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and ham is heated through. Serve with mushroom mixture. If desired, sprinkle with parsley
Whatcha think? Tasty? My Mom buys those ham steaks all the time but never thought to jazz them up like this. Usually she cuts them up and they eat them with vegetables for dinner. This is WAY WAY more interesting. As for gruyere cheese – it happens to be a favorite in the ROYAL FAMILY but I’m sure you can substitute another cheese you would like better. Recipes are GUIDELINES – you should feel free to make substitutions if you like.
SO – why not start out your morning with something a little more “upscale” than just ham and eggs? This will get your family’s eyes OPEN around the table!
Yes that’s me………King of Bacon………!!
On a serious note………..please……..please………never forget………..