Welcome to the Castle Baconia Kitchen! Ready to cook???
I have a great main dish for you this time around. If you’re a fan of chicken, you will be a fan of this recipe I think. It’s not hard to make either and really delicious with almost any side dish you can think of. Ready???
Honey Mustard Chicken With Bacon
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 level tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic, (or 3-4 cloves crushed garlic)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt to season
- 5 skinless and boneless chicken breasts (or chicken thighs)
- 1/2 cup diced bacon, trimmed of rind and fat (I used 4 small bacon rashers)
- 1/3 cup cream (light or reduced fat)
- 1 cup milk (skim, 2% or full fat – almond milk may be used for a dairy free option)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (corn flour) mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
In a large, shallow dish, combine the honey, mustard, garlic, oil and salt to taste (not too much salt if serving with bacon as the bacon will add a salty flavour when served). Coat chicken evenly in the sauce. Set aside.
Heat a nonstick pan (or skillet) over medium heat. Fry bacon until crispy; transfer to a plate. To the same pan, sear chicken fillets on each side in the oil left over from the bacon until just beginning to brown (about 3 minutes per side — not completely cooked through as we will finish them in the sauce).
Add any remaining honey mustard sauce into the pan along with the cream and milk. Bring to a simmer while stirring occasionally to mix the favours through the sauce (about 3 minutes), until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a warm plate.
Pour the cornstarch mixture into the center of the pan, mixing it through the sauce until it thickens. Place chicken back into the pan; coat with the sauce. Top with the bacon and garnish with parsley.
I know! I was surprised how delicious this was too!
Take our word for it – it’s worth giving it a whirl. You won’t be sorry (I hope!).