Hello from the Kitchens at Castle Baconia! Ready to cook?
OK – first off I have a confession…………………this one is a recipe that I haven’t made yet. I found the recipe and intended to make it but Saturday got here too quickly this week and I didn’t have time to TASTE TEST it. However, I think you’ll agree after reading the ingredients and seeing the photo that it simply HAS TO BE INCREDIBLE.
Bacon Maple French Toast
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Maple syrup
- Grease a 13×9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk the first 10 ingredients. Dip each slice of bread into egg mixture. Arrange slices in prepared dish. Pour remaining egg mixture over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine the first eight topping ingredients. Spread over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Drizzle with syrup.
How on earth could you go wrong with this recipe???? I just know it will be great and I do intend to make this soon – it’s just been a rather busy week or so around the Castle and I didn’t have a chance to whip it up for you. Usually we TRY OUT the recipes we pass on to you. There is an official TASTE TESTER here at the Castle………..it’s the ROYAL PARENTS and they’re pretty good at taste testing. We’ll let you know how it was next week. Meanwhile don’t let THAT stop you – GO FOR IT!