Friends, Romans, Country………oops – wrong speech!
Hello everyone and welcome to Cooking With The King of Bacon!
I’ve got a very yummy recipe for you today – and you can put as much bacon in it as you want………….recipe calls for an amount but like most recipes – it’s a guideline and not a set rule so add or subtract as you like but one thing I can promise you – this sure tastes good (The Royal Mom says so).
Oven Swiss Steak
- 8 bacon strips
- 2 pounds beef top round steak (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large cast-iron or ovenproof skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Trim beef; cut into serving-size pieces. Brown on both sides in drippings. Top meat with mushrooms, tomatoes and onion. Sprinkle with tarragon and bacon. Cover and bake at 325°, until meat is tender, 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours, basting twice.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cream. Simmer, uncovered, until heated through, 3-4 minutes. Return meat to skillet and turn to coat with sauce. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
I think what Garfield is trying to say is that the Swiss Steak was delicious but he still has room for his cherry pie dessert. Good for you Garfield! You’re a bigger and better man than I !
But not THAT much bigger (hahaha) !!
Give this one a try gang……trust me…….you’re gonna love it.
Royal Hugs, King Teddy