Greetings from the Baconian Castle kitchen – ready for a great recipe?
I, your King, will favor you with yet another amazingly delicious “ball of yummy” – you’ll see why I’m calling it that when you see what we’re making today. Kind of fun – and absolutely delicious. A great football season snack, or honestly a great and FUN dinner item or “company’s coming” snack. Oh baby are these good!
BBQ Bacon-Wrapped Onion Bombs
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 ” cube of cheddar cheese per meatball
- 5-6 large yellow onions
- 1 lb. bacon
- Additional BBQ sauce
- Mix the the meatball ingredients together, omitting the cheese, in a large bowl with your hands until well combined. Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a sided cookie sheet with foil and set aside.
- Slice the top and bottom off of an onion and peel off the skin. Cut the onion in half and now peel back the layers. Use the two sides of the onion and see how large you need to make your meatball. Stuff the meatball with the 1/2″ cheese cube and roll into a ball. Insert your meatball in the onion halves and make sure it fits nicely, not too small or too large.
- Wrap each of the onion bombs with 2-3 slices of bacon depending on the size of the bomb and secure with toothpicks. Bake on the prepared cookie sheet for 40 min. or until a thermometer reads 165F. Brush liberally with BBQ sauce and bake another 5-10 min.
Not such a toughie to make is it! Not only that, they are beyond delicious. If you like meatballs with BBQ sauce or anything even remotely LIKE that, you’ll love these. Don’t get too hung up in the “onion assembly” part of putting these together – as long as the meatball has onion “around” it – even if the sides don’t match, SO WHAT – you’re gonna wrap it up in bacon anyway. The onion is a great wrap for the meatball……….and the bacon holds it all together then slather it up in BBQ sauce (save some for a bowl on the side for dipping) and you’re in HEAVEN in no time.
Football snack right? That’s what we think anyway………….but you probably could eat these for breakfast and love them too.
I don’t have to think – I know which way I’m goin’ !! How about you ??