Greetings From Baconia! It’s Your King AND a Guest Chef Today!
Yes I have a guest with me in the kitchen and it’s someone a lot of you already know – my buddy from Friends Furever – RAZ! His Mom found a yummy bacon recipe for me to pass on to all of you so I thought I’d invite Raz to help me whip this up on a “trial run”for you.
- Preheat oven to 400° and place a wire rack over a large baking sheet. Place 5 slices bacon side by side. Lift one end of every other bacon slice and place another bacon slice on top of the lifted pieces. Lay slices back. Next, lift opposite bacon slices back and place a bacon slice on top. Lay slices back down. Repeat weaving process until you have a bacon weave of 5 strips by 5 strips. Set bacon weave on prepared baking sheet. (I know this sounds complicated but it really isn’t – try this “weaving” with bits of ribbon or paper first until you get the hang of it! It makes a PERFECT “wrap” for the contents in this recipe!)
- Bake until bacon is cooked but still pliable, 20 minutes. (This is important – pliable means the bacon is not crisp and stiff – otherwise you will have trouble rolling it after contents are in!!)
- Pat bacon weave with paper towels to drain fat and transfer to a piece of plastic wrap (it helps with rolling!)
- Spread mayo on top of bacon weave in a thin layer, then top bottom third of bacon weave with tomatoes and avocado. Sprinkle romaine all over and season with salt and pepper.
- Starting from the bottom, tightly roll, then slice crosswise into “sushi rolls”.
Here’s what the “bacon weave” looks like after it’s cooked – still not too crispy to “bend” for a roll – AND this is a bigger bacon weave than we are doing for this recipe – you only have five strips by five strips of bacon and this one has 7 but you get the idea……
Here’s what it looks like after rolling and slicing:
Oh boy oh boy oh boy…………..Raz this is really super easy AND super delicious don’t you think?????
Thanks a whole bunch for helping me out with this recipe today Raz…………….and please, give your Mom a big hug from THE KING will you? It was great that she thought this would be a good recipe to share…………she was RIGHT!
Sorry guy – we used all the bacon we had for the sushi!
It’s GOOD to be King and it’s nice to have a Guest Chef too!