It’s Bacon Time!
Hello bacon lovers and visitors to Castle Baconia for our regular Saturday morning bake-fest. I love to share a very cool and delicious recipe with you every week – that INCLUDES bacon in the list of ingredients! Today I have something that’s a bit more involved and complicated to make but it’s absolutely incredibly delicious with the combination of vegetables, cheese, bacon, and eggs….it’s a bit like a quiche on steroids! I kind of think it’s a marvelously elegant appetizer when you have company over but that doesn’t mean it’s not just as yummy when you make it for yourselves to enjoy WITHOUT company. Just that it’s something different and who doesn’t enjoy “different” once in a while??? LOTS of ingredients in this one.
Cheddar-Veggie Appetizer Torte
- 1-1/3 cups finely crushed multigrain crackers (note: multigrain crackers are interesting but in truth it can be almost any cracker but NOT Saltines!!)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 small zucchini, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 carton (8 ounces) spreadable garlic and herb cream cheese (I used Alouette because I buy their spreads often but ANY garlic/herb cream cheese will do!)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons crumbled cooked bacon (alright – you know me – I ignored the two tablespoons thing and just crumbled up two whole pieces of bacon!)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, combine cracker crumbs and butter. Press onto the bottom of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. In a large skillet, saute the zucchini, mushrooms, onion and red pepper in oil until tender. Spoon over cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in bacon. Pour over vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Serve warm or chilled. Refrigerate leftovers.
This is EVER so delicious. We love zucchini here – and all the other veggies that are in this recipe as well as mushrooms – it all goes so well with the cheddar cheese. The crust stands up beautifully too which is nice – makes it easy to slice and serve.
I encourage you to give this one a try FOR SURE………………..it certainly will be used around here for special occasions when there’s company afoot in the Castle!
I hope the Bacon Fairy visits your house soon!!!!
Yep – we Baconians are hooked…See you next Saturday for more fun…….