Happy Saturday to all Baconians!
It’s me again………..the King of Baconia who every Saturday, takes over the kitchen from the regular Castle Chef for a morning of baking something delicious that involves BACON! Our Chef here att he Castle really doesn’t mind……..he looks cranky but he isn’t – right Francoise??
Good – I will let you know when I’ve cleaned up the kitchen with help from the Castle Cleaning Crew and you may re-inhabit your domain!
So what will I be cooking for you today?
The PERFECT BLT
WHAT??????????????? But we ALL know how to make one of those you say…………..that may be true, but there are a couple of extra touches that make it even more delish – just a simple BLT or add some extras if you like……………. you’ll agree with me – I bet you will!
6 pieces thick-cut bacon
- 8 slices good bread
- About 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (I use Hellmann’s)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 large perfectly ripe tomato, cut into 4 generous slices, or 2 plum tomatoes, cut into 4 lengthwise slices each
- Kosher or coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Romaine or iceberg lettuce, about 8 sandwich-size pieces
Now, remember I said you could jazz this up with some “details”? Check these out:
• Swap out the plain lettuce for arugula, spinach, or watercress
• Swap out the bacon for pancetta (but bacon is best!)
• Add grilled or caramelized onions or a thin slice of raw onion
• Add a fried egg
• Add a slice of avocado or guacamole, or make a quick guac-ish mash smash up some avocado with lime juice and maybe some minced scallion or minced cilantro
• Mix the mayo with some smoked paprika, hot pepper sauce, minced fresh basil, cilantro, or another fresh herb or your choice
• Add a sautéed thin chicken cutlet (when I say THIN I mean THIN)
• When you’re browning the bread, you could add a slice or a smear of cheese on half the slices (on the top as you brown the bottom – any cheese, such as cheddar, Monterey jack, brie, or goat cheese. Cover the pan for 1 to 2 minutes until the cheese melts slightly, and then assemble the BLTs (lightly mayo the non-browned side of the remaining 4 slices of bread).
My Mom’s favorite addition is avocado………..of course not everyone is in love with avocado like she is but try one of the other optional goodies………….Adding the fried egg makes it a perfect breakfast sandwich for instance!
See? The wonderful BLT is just plain delicious no matter how you slice it (hahahahaha – I made a joke!). Trust me……..