Welcome to the Castle Kitchen – it’s “Cooking With King Teddy” day!
We have a recipe that might have you scratching your head and saying “not sure this sounds good” but you know me – I wouldn’t lead you astray – and if you like pizza and chicken and BBQ and most of all BACON, just THINK about making this one OK?
BBQ Chicken Pizza
I can hear you now…………….”What??? No bacon???” but it’s there – just keep reading!!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (you can buy already cooked chicken at most groceries if you don’t want to do your own!)
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (six strips in the official recipe but you know me – more if you want it!!)
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (probably other cheese will work but gorgonzola is really tasty)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 20-25 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Unroll and press dough onto bottom and 1/2 in. up sides of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 8 minutes.
- Spread barbecue sauce over dough; top with chicken, cooked onion, bacon, Gorgonzola cheese and jalapenos. Sprinkle with paprika and garlic powder; top with mozzarella cheese. Bake pizza 8-10 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted. OPTION: If you want to make this ahead then bake for company, party, etc., you can. Bake pizza crust as directed; cool. Top with all the ingredients as directed, and securely wrap and freeze unbaked pizza. To use, unwrap pizza; bake as directed, increasing time as necessary. Cool huh?
See? I didn’t lead you astray and I have to admit, while my Mom has NEVER EVER had pizza with chicken (I know – I hear you – it’s way better for you than meat) she thought this was really delicious – partly because of the BBQ sauce but also because of the BACON!!!
Now get to baking – this is too good NOT to make ——– occasion or no occasion. Ya gotta eat right? Then give this a try!
Happy Caturday to all Baconians!