Greetings from the kitchen at the Castle Baconia…..I am your King – and I have taken over the kitchen for another Saturday Bacon Delight Recipe!
Yes I intend to continue sharing bacon deliciousness in this new year and as we all know, there are plenty of recipes to go around for years to come. Some of the recipes I bring to you are oldies but goodies and some SOUND crazy but they are always yummy. This week’s is a “staple” around our house…………!!
Bean With Bacon Soup (yes….a classic!)
1 (16 ounce) package dried navy beans
- 9 cups water
- 1 pound bacon
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- Boil the beans in 9 cups of the water and then let sit for one hour. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the bacon to your desired texture (it can be soft or crisp, whatever you prefer) and drain except for 1/4 cup grease. Coarsely chop the bacon.
- Add the onions and celery to the reserved grease and bacon and saute until soft, do not drain. Add the chicken base or cubes, 4 cups water, beans, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and cloves, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juice. Serve.
You better believe it. Dad starts a big old fire in the morning in the fireplace – Mom starts the soup pot going with all these delicious aromas wafting through the house and I, King Teddy, get my little bit of bacon to chew on all day if I like because – after all – I am the KING!!!!!
Anyone for bean with bacon soup for SOOPER Bowl Sunday? Start saving up your recipes for the big day!
We at Castle Baconia wish you a happy weekend!